Are you looking for a meaningful project to engage Spanish learners during your Food or Culture lesson? Here is a partner project to creatively seal your unit on a positive note. You will find La Comida y el Mercado Vocabulario y Cultura: La Boquería de Barcelona to be a practical experience for present foodies and future travelers . . . .
This project, is appropriate for Homeschool and Classroom settings and can be used as is or is easily adaptable for the following classes:
• All levels of Spanish for Spanish Speakers • AP Spanish Language and Culture
• Spanish Culture Class • IB Spanish Language B – Standard Level
• Spanish III • IB Spanish Language B – Higher Level
THE PERSPECTIVE: We wanted a meaningful and engaging way to take the food lesson outside our classrooms. We also teach AP and are always looking for ways to promote Cultural Connections. We were inspired by the video from the Farok Martin channel (“ Bienvenid@s a mi canal, tu canal y el canal de todos”).
THE PRACTICE: Use the Andamio slides to scaffold the lesson and break down the concept of Un Paseíto por La Boquería de Barcelona. The student centered activities promote collaboration, accountability and differentiation. This lesson affords ample opportunity for students to share experiences and tips as part of the class objective content and language goals.
THE PRODUCT: The resources included in Un Paseíto por La Boquería de Barcelona provide the necessary tools to have students see and hear a report on an iconic destination in Barcelona and then create a common project where they are accountable for individual and collaborative tasks requiring listening practice and comprehension of past and new vocabulary, recognizing visual and verbal cues, comparing and contrasting, making a cultural connection and drawing conclusions.
Un Paseíto por La Boquería de Barcelona includes a slide presentation with clear margin notes and tips for the teacher to follow the scaffolding we have used effectively in our classrooms. There are slides to be shared with students as an entire class or using technology via Google slides. Students can work independently with their partners or the instructor may choose to assign the slides separately. Authentic student samples have been included when necessary.
Un Paseíto por La Boquería de Barcelona, encased as a zip file containing 4 different artifacts, has been formatted as a .pdf, and google slides for format integrity and editing as you wish and includes the following:
• The National Standards for Foreign Language Learning for each task.
• A teacher friendly, visually stimulating, slide presentation (El Andamio del Proyecto) that guides the teacher through
possible steps of delivery with margins notes and strategies
• A content and language objective
• A map to locate Barcelona and a link to locate La Boquería in the city of Barcelona
• A setting the stage comment and inquiry
• A snapshot of vocabulary previously learned and to be acquired
• Strategies for grouping students for efficient collaboration, differentiation and accountability
• A link for vocabulary practice and activities with Quizlet and Quizlet live (with a How-to link)
• Activities for identifying similarities and differences between La Boquería and a similar place known to the student
• A link to an authentic video the students view as many times as needed with extension activities
• A transcription of the script with annotated time
• A word cloud link for vocabulary practice
• Authentic examples of L2 novice student work
• A “tuit” summary of La Boquería
Uses for incorporating this product into your classroom seamlessly:
• Push out through Google Classroom or similar platform
• Independent study
• Whole class instruction allowing students to contribute in real-time.